With three little grandsons, I wanted to make a toddler elf hat for them to enjoy during the holiday season. Cinco was a dancing elf in his school play and I wanted him to have his own hat to wear anytime he wants.
Supplies for toddler elf hat
Affiliate links: if you make a purchase using these links, I’ll receive a small compensation towards maintaining this blog, at no extra cost to you.
To make toddler elf hat, you will need scissors, pins, and minky or other fleecy fabric in red or green and white.
- Red Minky fabric, 24 inches x 8 inches (1/4 yard will make 2 hats)
- White Minky fabric, 24 inches x 6 inches (1/4 yard will make 2 hats)
- Scissors or rotary cutter
- Glass headed pins
- Size 14 sewing machine needle, universal or ball point
- Parchment paper
Other notions: You may want to stitch a jingle bell or pompom to the top of the elf hat.
Instructions for toddler elf hat
- Wash and dry the fabric. Minky recommends cold water wash with cool dryer. Do not use fabric softener. Tip: I actually threw mine in with my normal laundry because I knew the parents would not want to worry about how to wash the hats. The minky is still soft and looks fine.
- Download and print the hat pattern. The small fits our 18 pound baby and the large fits our 2 ½ year old. You can measure your child’s head and adjust the pattern to fit. Measure the pattern to make sure it printed so that the dimensions are correct.
- With the white fleece, cut a rectangle for the hat band. For small 19 inches x 6 inches, medium 20 ½ inches x 6 inches, and large 21 ½ inches x 6 inches.
- Fold the red minky in half and cut the hat cap piece. Line up the edge with the double arrows along the fold.
- Tip: If you have a lot of lint at this point, put the cut pieces in the dryer with a damp washcloth. Run on low for about 10 minutes.
- Right sides together, fold the hat piece and pin every inch. Stitch the hat cap piece from the bottom edge, to the top, and to the top of the fold. Tip: at the very top, take one or two stitches parallel to the bottom.
- Fold the hat band together right sides together with the short ends of rectangle touching. Stitch the short end together.
- Turn the hat band right side out. Fold wrong sides together with the long sides touching.
- Place the hat cap inside the hat band, right side out, with raw edge matching up with long edge of band. Stitch through all three layers.
- Fold the band seam up towards the cap. Stitch again ¼ inch from the seam, sewing the seam to the hat cap.
- Wrap a piece of adhesive tape around your fingers, sticky side out. Go over the hat to pick up all the stray lint.
- If desired, hand sew a bell or pompom to the top of the elf hat.
- Sewing with Minky Tips from Coral + Co.
- A tall felt elf hat for children from Buggy and Buddy
- Elf facts from Kids Play and Create
Let’s talk story
We have a tradition of hanging Santa hats on our chairs around the house (you never know when you will feel moved to wear a Santa hat!) and these hats are small enough for Cinco, Duke, and Chip to join in the fun.