Hurricanes are a fruity passion fruit and rum cocktail. The hurricane cocktail was invented at Pat O’Brien’s in New Orleans during a 1940s glut of rum in the port city. It’s an ideal cocktail for bringing some sunshine into winter gloom and for keeping Mardi Gras season festive.
You will need a 2-quart pitcher and a measuring cup.
Add limeade, orange juice, passion fruit syrup, and grenadine to the pitcher. Add Hawaiian punch to make a total of 7 cups.
To make an individual drink, fill a small cup with crushed ice. Add 3 ounces of hurricane mix, 1 ounce of dark rum, and a cherry. We find that many of our guests do not want their drinks quite that strong. For a party of 40, I suggest 6 quarts of hurricane cocktail mix and 1.2 liters of rum (about 1.5 fifths).
Hurricane cocktail is ideal for bringing some sunshine into winter gloom and for keeping Mardi Gras festive.
- 1 cup limeade
- 4 cups Hawaiian Punch Fruit Juicy Red
- 8 tbsp Aunty Liliko'i's passion fruit syrup
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 ½ tbsp. grenadine
- 2 ½ cups Goslings Black Seal Bermuda Black dark rum
- crushed ice
- Add limeade, orange juice, passion fruit syrup, and grenadine to the pitcher. Add Hawaiian punch to make a total of 7 cups.
- To make an individual drink, fill a small cup with crushed ice. Add 3 ounces of hurricane mix, 1 ounce of dark rum, and a cherry. For a party of 40, I suggest 6 quarts of hurricane mix and 1.2 liters of rum (about 1.5 fifths).
Notes: Can't find passion fruit syrup but you can find passion fruit juice? Make a simple syrup with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Add ½ cup passion fruit juice. Making the recipe this way gives you the option of serving your guests virgin Hurricanes, or using the mix for your breakfast juice. Goslings Black Seal is our favorite for dark rum. Make sure you choose a good quality dark rum (Appleton Dark, Kohala Bay, Myers's) - and do not use spiced rum!
One serving will be 4 ounces. These are estimated values.
- The story of Pat O’Brien’s
- Aunty Liliko’i passion fruit syrups and juices
- Passion fruit facts from California Rare Fruit Growers
- A history of New Orleans’ cocktails from Eater
- Mardi Gras New Orleans website
Let’s talk story
Mardi Gras season lasts from January 6, Epiphany, until Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. These dates change every year, based on the date of Easter. It’s a moveable feast!
The name Hurricane comes from the glass they are usually served in, shaped like a hurricane lamp. The red color comes from the grenadine, a pomegranate syrup. Passion fruit juice is a light orange/yellow. If you visit New Orleans, be sure to try one of these at Pat O’Brien’s and sit out in the courtyard by the flaming fountain.
Mardi Gras party menu
Hurricane cocktails, Abita and Dixie beer, jambalaya, red beans and rice, muffulettas, remoulade with baguettes, ham, and cheese, King cake. Download a free printable for your Mardi Gras table!
I’ll be looking for comments below, or contact me at lisa [at] thecasabouquet[dot]com.
Affiliate links: if you make a purchase using these links, I’ll receive a small compensation towards maintaining this blog, at no extra cost to you.